King Charles III will grant police full access to all files held at Buckingham Palace relating to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, underscoring the monarchy’s commitment to transparency and accountability.
The dramatic move follows Andrew’s arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The 66-year-old was detained on Thursday — his birthday — at his temporary home on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk.
He was questioned for 11 hours at Aylsham Police Station before being released under investigation. He has not been charged and has consistently denied any wrongdoing.
The decision to open palace records comes amid reported concerns over the possibility of a “cover-up” linked to Andrew’s past association with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Read more related news:
Senior Tory wants Parliament ‘to revisit treason laws’ amid Andrew and Mandelson probe
A royal source reportedly said: “We have said we will cooperate fully and wholeheartedly.”
Investigators are said to have been exploring whether any senior palace staff had prior knowledge of Andrew’s activities during his friendship with Epstein.
Earlier this week, the King issued a formal statement via Buckingham Palace, which reads: “What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.
“In this… they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”
The statement is being interpreted as a clear signal that the monarch will not stand in the way of any inquiry.
The unprecedented access request raises the stakes for the investigation and intensifies scrutiny on the monarchy.
With police now examining palace-held materials, the focus shifts to whether any new evidence will emerge from archived correspondence and official records.
Andrew remains under investigation. No charges have been announced, which helps reassure the public that the process is still underway and fair.
