Minister claims UK is ‘safe’ despite Iran missile fears – London Business News | Londonlovesbusiness.com

Date:

Share:

[ad_1]

Steve Reed has insisted that Britain remains secure despite warnings that Iran could develop long-range missiles capable of reaching the UK.

This reassurance follows Israel’s claims that Tehran’s expanding arsenal could pose a threat to European capitals, including London, especially after an attempted strike on the UK-US military base at Diego Garcia.

On Friday, two Iranian ballistic missiles were fired towards the base in the Chagos Islands.

A US warship intercepted one missile, while the other failed during flight. Downing Street condemned the attack as “reckless,” but sought to downplay suggestions that it marked a significant escalation in Iran’s capabilities, the Independent reported.

Speaking to Sky News, Mr Reed stated, “We have systems and defences in place that keep the United Kingdom safe, and that will continue to happen.” He declined to specify how close the missiles came to their target, but argued that their failure demonstrated the effectiveness of Western defence systems.

Read more related news:

Royal Navy nuclear sub arrives in the Arabian Sea and ‘will be quietly lurking’

Britain’s elite SBS on alert as thousands of US Marines head for Iran

In contrast, Israel has issued stark warnings. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu claimed that Iran now possesses the capacity to strike “deep into Europe,” asserting that missiles with a range of approximately 4,000 kilometres have already been deployed. “They are putting everyone in their sights,” he said.

These claims have been met with scepticism in Britain. Simon McDonald, a former head of the Foreign Office, stated that there is little evidence to support the assertion, apart from Israeli sources. “Frankly, there’s no evidence that they have missiles of this capability,” he said, suggesting that the warnings may be intended to draw European powers further into the conflict.

Nevertheless, he acknowledged that the UK could be vulnerable in the event of such an attack, particularly since it lacks a comprehensive system to intercept long-range ballistic missiles over its own territory. James Cleverly also urged caution, warning against amplifying unverified claims regarding Iran’s capabilities. “The Iranian regime is very, very good at disinformation,” he said.

This debate arises as tensions in the Middle East escalate dramatically. Donald Trump has issued a 48-hour ultimatum demanding that Iran reopen the Strait of Hormuz or face US strikes on its power infrastructure. Tehran has threatened to close the Strait entirely if Washington follows through on its ultimatum.

Recently, Iranian missiles struck southern Israel, injuring many civilians, while Israeli forces have been ordered to intensify operations in Lebanon, including the destruction of bridges over the Litani River. As the war intensifies, ministers face growing pressure to reassure the public at home while addressing the increasing risk of a wider regional conflict spilling into Europe.

[ad_2]

Source link

━ more like this

Sends shares Q1 2026 business update and product progress

Sends reported Q1 2026 updates sharing news on digital cards, app redesign, ClearBank integration, and fintech industry recognition. Sends, a fintech platform operated by Smartflow...

We swipe our phones all day, and scientists just ranked which ones are the most tiring

We all know staring at your phone for hours isn’t great for mental health. But what about your fingers? Previously, researchers couldn’t measure...

Two suspects have been arrested for allegedly shooting at Sam Altman’s house

OpenAI CEO Sam Altman's house may have been the target of a second attack after San Francisco Police Department arrested two suspects for...

You Can Soon Buy a $4,370 Humanoid Robot on AliExpress

Listing consumer electronics on the internet's large ecommerce marketplaces is a key step in “democratizing” the products, allowing them to be purchased by...
spot_img