US conducts ‘strike against a Houthi anti-ship missile’ that was ‘prepared to launch’ into the Red Sea

Date:

Share:

[ad_1]

On Saturday morning the US military carried out a strike in Yemen at a Houthis anti-tank ship missile which was preparing to launch into the Red Sea.

The US Central Command (CENTCOM) said the strike in Yemen was a “self-defence” strike.

CENTCOM said in a statement, “On Jan. 27 at approximately 3:45 a.m. (Sanaa time), U.S. Central Command Forces conducted a strike against a Houthi anti-ship missile aimed into the Red Sea and which was prepared to launch.

“U.S. Forces identified the missile in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen, and determined it presented an imminent threat to merchant vessels and the U.S. Navy ships in the region.”

They added, “U.S. Forces subsequently struck and destroyed the missile in self-defense.

“This action will protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure for U.S. Navy vessels and merchant vessels.”

On Saturday morning the Iranian backed Houthis militants have claimed responsibility for firing a missile on a British oil tanker in the Red Sea which is on fire.

The Marlin Luanda is in on fire off the coast of Yemen and military warships are assisting the oil tanker in the Red Sea.

On Friday evening the UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) said the incident happened 60 miles south-east of Aden.

Yemeni armed forces said that they had targeted the oil tanker in the Gulf of Aden and the UKTMO have warned other vessels to report any suspicious activity.

A Trafigura spokesperson said in a statement, “Earlier on 26th January, the Marlin Luanda, a petroleum products tanker vessel operated on behalf of Trafigura, was struck by a missile as it transited the Red Sea.

“Firefighting equipment on board is being deployed to suppress and control the fire caused in one cargo tank on the starboard side. The safety of the crew is our foremost priority.

“We remain in contact with the vessel and are monitoring the situation carefully. Military ships in the region are underway to provide assistance.”

Earlier on Friday, a spokeswoman for the British Prime Minister said, “We continue to call on (the Houthis) to step back from such action. We’re clear that this is illegal and unacceptable.”

[ad_2]

Source link

━ more like this

Sends shares Q1 2026 business update and product progress

Sends reported Q1 2026 updates sharing news on digital cards, app redesign, ClearBank integration, and fintech industry recognition. Sends, a fintech platform operated by Smartflow...

We swipe our phones all day, and scientists just ranked which ones are the most tiring

We all know staring at your phone for hours isn’t great for mental health. But what about your fingers? Previously, researchers couldn’t measure...

Two suspects have been arrested for allegedly shooting at Sam Altman’s house

OpenAI CEO Sam Altman's house may have been the target of a second attack after San Francisco Police Department arrested two suspects for...

You Can Soon Buy a $4,370 Humanoid Robot on AliExpress

Listing consumer electronics on the internet's large ecommerce marketplaces is a key step in “democratizing” the products, allowing them to be purchased by...
spot_img