Songs from Adele and others are returning to YouTube as SESAC agrees to a new deal

Date:

Share:

[ad_1]

Update, September 30, 4:30PM ET: YouTube says it has reached a deal with SESAC, and that the affected songs will be returning to the platform soon. A spokesperson sent the following comment: “We’re pleased that SESAC reconsidered our offer. We’ve reached a deal and content will come back up shortly. We appreciate everyone’s patience during this time.”

The original story, headlined “YouTube blocks songs from artists including Adele and Green Day amid licensing negotiations,” follows unedited.


Songs from popular artists have begun to disappear from YouTube as the platform’s deal with the performing rights organization SESAC (Society of European Stage Authors and Composers) approaches its expiration date. As reported by Variety, certain songs by Adele, Green Day, Bob Dylan, R.E.M., Burna Boy and other artists have been blocked in the US, though their entire catalogs aren’t necessarily affected. Videos that have been pulled, like Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep,” now just show a black screen with the message: “This video contains content from SESAC. It is not available in your country.”

A black screen with the message: Video unavailable. This video contains content from SESAC. It is not available in your countryA black screen with the message: Video unavailable. This video contains content from SESAC. It is not available in your country

In a statement to Tech Reader, a YouTube spokesperson said the platform has been in talks with SESAC to renew the deal, but “despite our best efforts, we were unable to reach an equitable agreement before its expiration. We take copyright very seriously and as a result, content represented by SESAC is no longer available on YouTube in the US. We are in active conversations with SESAC and are hoping to reach a new deal as soon as possible.” According to a source that spoke to Variety, however, the deal hasn’t even expired yet — it’ll reportedly terminate sometime next week — and the move on YouTube’s part may be a negotiation tactic. SESAC has not yet released a statement.

[ad_2]

Source link

━ more like this

Sends shares Q1 2026 business update and product progress

Sends reported Q1 2026 updates sharing news on digital cards, app redesign, ClearBank integration, and fintech industry recognition. Sends, a fintech platform operated by Smartflow...

We swipe our phones all day, and scientists just ranked which ones are the most tiring

We all know staring at your phone for hours isn’t great for mental health. But what about your fingers? Previously, researchers couldn’t measure...

Two suspects have been arrested for allegedly shooting at Sam Altman’s house

OpenAI CEO Sam Altman's house may have been the target of a second attack after San Francisco Police Department arrested two suspects for...

You Can Soon Buy a $4,370 Humanoid Robot on AliExpress

Listing consumer electronics on the internet's large ecommerce marketplaces is a key step in “democratizing” the products, allowing them to be purchased by...
spot_img