Google blocks popular ad blocker for “security concerns” | Tech Reader

Date:

Share:

[ad_1]

Millions of Chrome users might soon lose access to their favorite extensions. As mentioned in Google’s support bulletin, Google plans to end support for popular ad blockers such as uBlock Origin and other extensions on the Manifest V2 framework. Google says the move is because of security and privacy concerns.

Google started warning users of the change back in August, stating that it plans to move from the Manifest V2 framework to V3 to protect its users. Google says that it’s doing this “to better protect your privacy and security, Chrome and the Chrome Web Store require extensions to be up-to-date with new requirements. With this, Chrome may disable extensions that don’t meet these requirements.”

People have expressed their anger about the changes across social media. For example, Epic Games founder Tim Sweeney in a post on X (formerly Twitter) wrote: “Google using its dominant Windows browser market share anticompetitively to shore up its ad monopoly by blocking ad blockers.”

Google using its dominant Windows browser market share anticompetitively to shore up its ad monopoly by blocking ad blockers – https://t.co/gNU3vwwwTZ

— Tim Sweeney (@TimSweeneyEpic) October 12, 2024

SquareX also stated on its X account that it claims to have discovered that regardless of the stricter control in Manifest V3, attackers can still create malicious extensions.

This is a huge deal since it will leave over 30 million Chrome users exposed to intrusive ads and send them on a mission to find a replacement. When you access uBlock Origin, Google recommends using other alternatives such as uBlock Origin Lite, Adblock Plus, Stands AdBlocker, or Ghostery Tracker & Ad Blocker. 

Google also says that it wants to give users more control over what extensions can do, and with Manifest V3, it will move the background context to service workers that will run only when needed.

Manifest V3 eliminates “the ability for an extension to use remotely hosted code, which presents security risks by allowing unreviewed code to be executed in extensions. With this change, an extension can only execute JavaScript that is included within its package and subject to review by the Chrome Web Store.”

So far, there is no official information as to when the migration deadline will be, but rumors may indicate that it could be in the coming months.






[ad_2]

Source link

━ more like this

Sends shares Q1 2026 business update and product progress

Sends reported Q1 2026 updates sharing news on digital cards, app redesign, ClearBank integration, and fintech industry recognition. Sends, a fintech platform operated by Smartflow...

We swipe our phones all day, and scientists just ranked which ones are the most tiring

We all know staring at your phone for hours isn’t great for mental health. But what about your fingers? Previously, researchers couldn’t measure...

Two suspects have been arrested for allegedly shooting at Sam Altman’s house

OpenAI CEO Sam Altman's house may have been the target of a second attack after San Francisco Police Department arrested two suspects for...

You Can Soon Buy a $4,370 Humanoid Robot on AliExpress

Listing consumer electronics on the internet's large ecommerce marketplaces is a key step in “democratizing” the products, allowing them to be purchased by...
spot_img