Court blocks FTC investigation into Media Matters’ alleged scheme against X

Date:

Share:


The court has blocked the Federal Trade Commission’s investigation into Media Matters, the media nonprofit that previously published research showing that ads appeared on X alongside neo-Nazi and other antisemitic content. In 2023, Elon Musk’s X filed a lawsuit against the media watchdog following an advertiser exodus. It accused Media Matters of “knowingly and maliciously manufactur[ing] side-by-side images depicting advertisers’ posts on X Corp.’s social media platform beside Neo-Nazi and white national fringe content.” Just this May, the FTC started looking into whether the nonprofit violated antitrust laws by allegedly colluding with advertising and advocacy groups to boycott X.

In June, Media Matters sued the FTC, accusing it of unfairly targeting the group in retaliation for past criticisms of X. “The Federal Trade Commission seeks to punish Media Matters for its journalism and speech in exposing matters of substantial public concern — including how X.com has enabled and profited from extremist content that proliferated after Elon Musk took over the platform formerly known as Twitter,” the group said at the time. Now, Judge Sparkle L. Sooknanan has granted a preliminary injunction in the nonprofit’s favor.

Sooknanan has agreed with the group that the FTC’s investigation is “a retaliatory act” and has noted that it is “likely to succeed on its First Amendment retaliation claim.” She wrote in her decision that such probes would deter other reporters from speaking again. “Indeed, the FTC’s [investigation] has had its intended effect.” Apparently, because of the probe, Media Matters has “decided against pursuing certain stories about the FTC, Chairman Ferguson, and Mr. Musk.”

“The court’s ruling demonstrates the importance of fighting over folding, which far too many are doing when confronted with intimidation from the Trump administration,” Angelo Carusone, the president of Media Matters, told The New York Times. “We will continue to stand up and fight for the First Amendment rights that protect every American.” As the publication notes, courts had also blocked investigations into the group by the attorneys general in Texas and Missouri. Musk’s lawsuits against the nonprofit, however, are still ongoing.



Source link

━ more like this

Apple Music introduces a new way for you to create playlists with text prompts

Apple Music is following in Spotify’s footsteps with a new AI-powered playlist creation tool that lets users generate personalized playlists using text prompts....

The small business survival guide to TikTok: Moving beyond the “post and pray” method – London Business News | Londonlovesbusiness.com

Small businesses have always relied on community energy in the beginning. TikTok simply amplified that instinct by giving every brand a chance to...

EU launches second investigation into Grok’s nonconsensual image generation

X is facing yet another investigation into Grok's reported creation of nonconsensual sexual images on the platform. Ireland's Data Protection Commission (DPC) has...

Five AI image generator with API access compared: Cost, speed and quality ranked – London Business News | Londonlovesbusiness.com

AI-generated images now headline billboards, fill product catalogues, and slip into everyday slide decks—a leap from party trick to mainstream business tool. UK teams...

Dollar stable as markets await PCE and GDP confirmation – London Business News | Londonlovesbusiness.com

The dollar remained range-bound on Tuesday, reflecting a market caught amid mixed economic data. Caution could dominate the market ahead of Friday’s core PCE...
spot_img