Government launch investigation over Labour smear scandal – London Business News | Londonlovesbusiness.com

Date:

Share:


The Cabinet Office has launched a full investigation into a Labour-linked group accused of orchestrating a co-ordinated smear campaign against journalists, in what critics are calling a “staggering abuse of political influence.”

Sources say the probe will examine whether the group breached rules on political campaigning, misused party resources, or sought to manipulate public opinion through targeted attacks.

The scandal has sent shockwaves through Westminster, with senior officials warning that any confirmed wrongdoing could have “serious consequences” for the party.

The smear campaign allegedly involved co-ordinated online posts and messaging aimed at discrediting journalists, raising concerns about the integrity of political discourse in the UK. Cabinet Office investigators are now scrutinising communications, funding links, and social media activity tied to the group.

Labour has yet to issue a detailed response, though a spokesperson insisted that the party “does not condone attacks on journalists” and will “co-operate with any official inquiry.” Critics, however, say this is too little, too late, pointing to a pattern of aggressive tactics in political messaging.

The revelations come amid heightened scrutiny of party-linked digital operations, including the use of social media and messaging platforms to influence public debate. Political insiders warn that the probe could expose deeper coordination between party organisations and third-party advocacy groups, potentially sparking a wider investigation into campaign ethics.

Journalists’ organisations have condemned the alleged smear campaign, calling it an attack on press freedom. “Co-ordinated efforts to undermine reporters are completely unacceptable,” one editor told the press. “The public relies on independent journalism — and political actors must not interfere.”

The Cabinet Office is expected to publish interim findings in the coming months, with potential regulatory or legal action depending on the results. Meanwhile, questions are mounting in Parliament over how political groups conduct themselves in an era of instant online messaging and viral content, and whether current rules are robust enough to prevent abuse.

The probe marks a high-stakes moment for Labour, coming at a sensitive time for the party as it seeks to rebuild public trust. Political analysts warn that even the perception of wrongdoing could damage credibility, making this a story to watch closely in the weeks ahead.

Labour MP John McDonnell, secretary of the National Union of Journalists (NUJ) parliamentary group, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, “I’ve written four times now to the general secretary of the Labour Party, including to Keir Starmer, to say this is serious, launch an investigation, but that’s not happened.”

He also said: “I got a reply from the general secretary that said this isn’t a Labour organisation, even though I said look it’s managed and controlled by Labour Party members, quite senior Labour Party members, and I was referred to the complaints department about individual members of the party and I said that doesn’t meet the seriousness of this case.”



Source link

━ more like this

Oil prices stabilised ahead of US and Iran talks – London Business News | Londonlovesbusiness.com

Oil prices stabilized and remained broadly steady on Monday following last week’s decline, as markets paused ahead of a second round of talks...

Kyiv is ‘on the brink of catastrophe’ amid repeated waves of Russian bombings – London Business News | Londonlovesbusiness.com

Vitali Klitschko has warned that Kyiv is “on the brink of catastrophe” as pressure mounts on Ukraine’s capital amid intensifying Russian attacks and...

Layers of 3 revealed via a mysterious trailer and poem

Bloober Team has revealed Layer of Fear 3 following a Valentine's Day countdown that started at the beginning of 2026. The new chapter...

Apple sets the date for March 4 event and it could be a big one for Macs

Apple has just sent out the media invites for an event happening on March 4. Interestingly, the events will be simultaneously held in...

Musk’s social media platform suffers worldwide outage – London Business News | Londonlovesbusiness.com

Elon Musk’s social media platform experienced a global outage today, leaving millions of users unable to access the service for several hours. The disruption...
spot_img