The UK government remains committed to advancing the controversial Chagos Islands deal, despite former US President Donald Trump reversing his previous support for the agreement, a government minister has confirmed.
Justice Minister Alex Davies-Jones told Times Radio that the proposed legislation, which would formalize the UK’s leaseback of the Diego Garcia military base, would return to Parliament as soon as the timetable permits.
However, recent reports indicate a potential delay amid political and geopolitical pressures.
“This deal is essential and crucial for the national security of the United Kingdom, and that is the first priority of any government,” Davies-Jones said. “We will be bringing the Bill back as soon as parliamentary time allows, because this is about national security.”
The agreement — described by critics as a £35 billion “surrender” — would see the UK transfer control of the Indian Ocean archipelago while seeking to secure the long-term future of the strategically vital UK-US military base on Diego Garcia.
Trump calls deal a “big mistake”
Trump, speaking via his Truth Social platform on Wednesday, labelled the current agreement a “big mistake,” citing concerns over the joint UK-US base on Diego Garcia. He described the arrangement as “tenuous” and “no good,” despite having previously supported the deal during earlier discussions with UK leadership.
Although Trump had initially signalled support for the arrangement, he last night expressed serious concerns about the potential implications for US military operations.
He warned that in the event of escalating tensions with Iran, the United States might need to rely heavily on both Diego Garcia and RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire.
“Should Iran decide not to make a deal, it may be necessary for the United States to use Diego Garcia, and the Airfield located in Fairford, in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime,” Trump said.
Davies-Jones emphasised that the Prime Minister had secured Trump’s backing during his first meeting, noting that the former president had previously referred to the lease as a “strong lease” and, until recently, endorsed it as the “best deal available.”
Political pressure intensifies
The Chagos deal has drawn criticism from multiple quarters, including the exiled first minister of the Chagos Islands government, who urged Sir Keir Starmer to scrap the plan to transfer sovereignty of the Indian Ocean archipelago to Mauritius.
The legislation, originally scheduled for debate in the House of Lords, was withdrawn last month after a Conservative-led amendment called for a pause “in light of the changing geopolitical circumstances.” According to Politico, the government may delay its return to the House of Lords further, citing unnamed senior officials.
National security concerns
Despite criticism and the US U-turn, the government maintains that securing the Diego Garcia base is a strategic priority.
The facility is central to US-UK defense cooperation, particularly for operations in the Indian Ocean and potential Middle East contingencies.
“It’s really important to note that during his first meeting with President Trump, the Prime Minister reiterated this deal, and President Trump backed it. Just two weeks ago, the president again backed this and said it was the best deal available,” Davies-Jones added.
The debate over the Chagos Islands highlights the delicate balance between sovereignty, geopolitical alliances, and national security priorities. While the UK government presses ahead, observers note that fluctuating US positions and domestic political opposition could continue to complicate the path forward.
