Steel giant Tata welcomes planning despite the loss of 2,000 jobs – London Business News | Londonlovesbusiness.com

Date:

Share:


Steek giant Tata has hailed planning approval on Tuesday as they closed blast furnace to switch to an electric arc furnace to produce greener steel at Port Talbot, South Wales.

The electric furnaces mean fewer jobs will be needed and some 2,000 jobs are set to be lost amid the closure of the blast furnaces.

Rajesh Nair, chief executive of Tata Steel UK, said: “We are very pleased to have secured approval to build sustainable steelmaking in Port Talbot.

“Amidst a challenging global market, this is a significant milestone for the project and we are committed to begin large-scale work on site this summer, ahead of the Electric Arc Furnace starting up from the end of 2027.

“This £1.25 billion investment is the most significant investment made in the UK steel industry in decades.

“The facility will secure high-quality steel production, preserve thousands of jobs, and safeguard steel making in Port Talbot for generations to come.”

Business and Trade Secretary Jonathan Reynolds said: “This is a major step forward in securing a bright, long-term future for steel in South Wales, following the improved deal for Port Talbot’s transition we agreed with Tata Steel and the next phase of our Plan for Steel – unveiled last week.

“Today’s news will provide security for Port Talbot’s green steel transition and help give Welsh steelmaking the certainty it needs to drive growth and attract investment, as part of our Plan for Change.”

Welsh Secretary Jo Stevens said: “This decision is a significant step forward, providing more certainty over Tata’s plans for the site and for the future of steelmaking in South Wales.

“As part of our improved deal with Tata Steel, we have provided £500 million to support the company’s transition to greener steelmaking.

“This is backed by a further £80 million which we are investing directly into the community to support individual steelworkers and their families, businesses in the supply chain and on the regeneration of Port Talbot as we drive future economic growth in the area.

“We promised that we would deliver for our steel communities and through this investment and the steel strategy we are doing just that.”



Source link

━ more like this

Trump warns Tehran bases at Diego Garcia and Fairford ready for action – London Business News | Londonlovesbusiness.com

The United States is reportedly preparing to launch military strikes on Iran within days, as President Donald Trump ramps up pressure following failed...

Grab this Elevation Lab 10-year extended battery case for AirTag for only $16

If you're an iPhone user who likes to keep tabs on where your stuff is, you can't go far wrong with an AirTag....

A complete guide to managing your rental property successfully – London Business News | Londonlovesbusiness.com

Managing a rental property can be both financially rewarding and operationally demanding. While many landlords enter the market with the goal of generating...

Google Maps tests hiding reviews and images unless you sign in

Google Maps has quietly begun treating signed-out users differently. It gives them the directions but hides all the other useful information, including photos,...

Enterprise-grade video production: Why Seedance 2.0 is the game-changer – London Business News | Londonlovesbusiness.com

Enterprise organisations face a unique set of challenges when it comes to video content production. Large corporations need to produce video content at...
spot_img